Here's an easy, satisfying, and delicious vegan breakfast burrito made with tofu scramble, black beans, pepper, and tasty toppings like cashew sour cream, avocado, and hot sauce.
You can make this recipe in about 15 minutes, and it's excellent for meal prep as you can keep it in the fridge for days.
Check out our best vegan breakfast recipe collection!
On this page:
This vegan breakfast burrito recipe combines our easy and tasty tofu scramble with delicious Mexican ingredients.
The tofu makes this meal filling and nutritious. To make it flavorful, we fry it with onions, garlic, cumin, and red pepper flakes.
Then we add black beans and bell pepper to pack the vegan burrito filling with even more flavor.
As usual, this recipe should serve you as a guideline, so change it based on your preferences and what you have in the fridge.
For example, I love adding chipotle powder (a staple in our pantry) to pack the burrito with a spicy and smokey taste.
This recipe is as delicious as it is versatile. Have it for breakfast, lunch, or a no-fuss dinner, and let us know your thoughts.
You can use firm tofu or extra firm tofu to fill this delicious vegan burrito.
You can use any plant milk of your choice if it's unsweetened and plain, without flavor.
We like using oat milk or soy milk.
Plant milk adds moisture to the tofu making it a lot more pleasant to eat. Granted, you can make this recipe without it, but it tends to turn out a little too dry for our taste.
So we recommend adding some plant milk to make the filling moist and similar to a scrambled egg texture.
We use it to make the flavor base with garlic and onion.
Substitute avocado oil, coconut oil, or any other vegetable oil for olive oil.
Onion and garlic
Gently frying a yellow or white onion and a couple of cloves of garlic in olive oil will infuse the filling for the burrito with plenty of flavors and make the tofu taste delicious.
Cumin is a staple spice in Mexican food, and we think it's delicious in this recipe.
You can use whole cumin seeds or ground cumin.
Red pepper flakes
To make the dish spicy, we like to add red pepper flakes.
Substitute chili powder, cayenne powder, fresh serrano chilis, or other Mexican chilis for red pepper flakes.
We use turmeric to color the tofu and make the tofu scramble look more palatable and more similar to scrambled eggs.
Also, turmeric is delicious with cumin and other ingredients, so we strongly recommend it.
Black beans are our choice for breakfast recipes (we also use them in our sweet potato hash) because they are smaller and have thinner skin than other beans.
We use canned black beans, drained and rinsed from their liquid; however, you can also use dried black beans that you cooked in lightly salted boiling water until tender (about 2 hours).
Substitute red kidney beans and pinto beans for black beans.
Bell pepper + cumin + beans = happy tummy! We love this combination of flavors, especially in a Mexican-inspired dish.
You can use yellow, green, or red bell pepper.
Salt and pepper
We recommend sea salt or kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper.
Serve it with
You'll need a wrap to eat this dish. You can use a flour tortilla, a corn tortilla, a gluten-free tortilla, a whole wheat tortilla, or put the filling on a slice of toasted bread.
For toppings, we recommend the following:
- Cilantro, lime, and jalapeños
- Sliced avocado or guacamole or avocado spread;
- Vegan sour cream - we make our own with cashews, and it's delicious;
- Diced tomatoes or, even better, Pico de Gallo;
- Hot sauce
- Vegan cheeses, ideally, that melt.
As we mentioned before, take this vegan breakfast burrito recipe as a guideline, and feel free to add your favorite ingredients.
Some delicious ones we tried were spring onions, roasted sweet potatoes, mushrooms, and corn kernels.
In a nonstick or well-seasoned cast iron skillet, warm the oil, add chopped onion, and fry on medium heat for 3 to 5 minutes or until the onion starts to sweat.
Add grated garlic, cumin, and red pepper flakes and fry one more minute or until you smell the fragrant cumin aroma.
Add diced bell pepper and drained black beans and cook for 3 minutes on high heat, stirring often.
Take the tofu out of the package, drain it, and crumble it with your hands into the pan.
Season with salt and pepper and fry it on medium-high heat for 5 minutes, stirring often.
Add the plant milk and turmeric, stir, and cook for a few minutes until the tofu absorbs the milk.
At this point, you can add other seasonings like chipotle powder (strongly recommend) and dried oregano.
Taste and adjust for salt and spices (important).
Transfer to a serving bowl/plate and sprinkle with freshly chopped cilantro, lime, and optionally hot sauce.
You can serve the burrito filling on its own, with rice, on a slice of toasted bread, or in a tortilla wrap.
You can warm up the burrito in the microwave, on a skillet, in the oven, or on an open flame.
We recommend topping it with fresh lime, cilantro, avocado, hot sauce, and vegan sour cream.
You can also serve it with:
- Guacamole (avocado, lime juice, garlic, tomato, red onion, cilantro).
- Avocado spread (avocado, tahini, lemon, garlic, salt).
- Avocado salad (cherry tomatoes, avocado, red onion, parsley, lemon juice).
- Pico de Gallo, salsa, or tomato salad (heirloom tomatoes, red onion, basil, olive oil).
- Tahini sauce (tahini, water, lemon juice, salt, garlic).
- Roasted bell peppers: (olive oil, vinegar, garlic, basil).
I don't know about you, but I have never managed in my entire life to properly close a burrito and wrap it in foil because I put way too much filling in, and that's ok with me.
Sweet potato hash is probably our favorite sweet potato dish right now, especially when we put it in a tortilla wrap with avocado, lime, cilantro, sour cream, and jalapeños.
It makes the perfect filling for a vegan burrito and is an excellent alternative to the one with tofu.
Check out our sweet potato hash recipe.
Make Ahead & Storage
Make ahead: this one's a good recipe to make ahead because it keeps well in the fridge for days. Also, it tastes great when you reheat it, so feel free to make a big batch if you like.
Refrigerator: keep leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Freezer: let the vegan breakfast burrito filling cool down completely, then transfer it to a freezer-friendly container and freeze for up to 3 months.
Thaw: defrost in the refrigerator over several hours or in the microwave.
Reheat: you can warm the filling on a pan with a drizzle of oil or in the microwave for 2 minutes.
More tofu recipes
Get more weeknight dinner inspiration with these easy-to-make tofu ideas:
- Tofu scramble (turmeric, soy milk, garlic powder, fresh parsley).
- Tofu "chicken" cacciatore (passata, black olives, capers, rosemary, garlic).
- Lemon tofu (lemon, cornstarch, flour, garlic, rosemary).
- Fried tofu (olive oil, cornstarch, garlic powder, paprika).
- Tofu curry (coconut milk, cauliflower, curry, ginger, garlic, turmeric, garam masala).
More breakfast ideas
Here are some of our delicious vegan breakfasts for you:
- Bircher muesli (oats, green apples, milk, almonds, raisins).
- No-nuts tofu cream cheese (tofu, soy milk, tahini, olive oil, garlic, herbs).
- Chickpea Frittata (chickpea flour, olive oil, zucchini, red onion, parsley).
- Homemade granola (rolled oats, walnuts, almonds, seeds, tahini, maple syrup).
- Vegan pancakes (flour, baking powder, sugar, dairy-free milk, vanilla).
For many more breakfast ideas, check out our breakfast category page.
Vegan Breakfast Burrito
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 yellow onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes + 1 teaspoon chipotle powder optional
- 1 small can (15 ounces) black beans
- 1 yellow bell pepper
- 14 - 16 ounces firm tofu
- 1 teaspoon salt or more to taste
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup plant milk plain and unsweetened (we use oat milk or soy milk)
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- tortilla wraps, lime, cilantro, avocado, hot sauce, vegan sour cream, jalapeños
- In a skillet on medium heat, fry chopped onion with oil for 5 minutes. Add grated garlic, red pepper flakes, and cumin and fry one more minute.
- Add drained and rinsed beans and diced bell pepper. Fry on high heat for 3 minutes stirring often.
- Crumble the tofu with your hands right into the pan, season with salt, pepper, and fry on medium-high heat for 5 minutes stirring often. Add plant milk and turmeric, then stir and cook for a few more minutes until the tofu absorbs the milk.
- Taste and adjust for salt and spices. Transfer to a serving bowl and sprinkle with lime, cilantro, and optionally hot sauce.
- Warm up the tortilla wrap in a microwave, oven, or skillet then fill it with the vegan breakfast burrito filling.We recommend adding vegan sour cream, sliced avocado, jalapeños, cilantro, lime, and hot sauce.
If you liked this vegan breakfast burrito recipe, you might also enjoy the following: