Tofu with Italian pizzaiola sauce is a simple yet delicious pan-fried tofu recipe ready in 20 minutes.
It’s a perfect weeknight dinner. We make it with pantry staples such as tomato puree, dried oregano, and garlic; the whole family will love it.
Table of Contents
Check out our best vegan beginner recipe collection!
There is a recipe in Italy called “carne alla pizzaiola,” made with thinly sliced veal cutlets cooked in a rich tomato sauce packed with oregano and garlic flavor.
A pizzaiola sauce is similar to a marinara sauce; it’s made with tomato puree, garlic, oregano, and olive oil.
Our recipe for tofu with pizzaiola sauce uses the same pizzaiola sauce recipe as the original Italian, but we then used thinly sliced firm tofu instead of meat.
The result is a delicious, light, yet flavourful dinner that tastes Italian. It’s such a super easy yet tasty dish you’ll be amazed!
Just remember to serve it with green veggies and a piece of crusty bread to dip in the pizzaiola sauce!
Pick firm or extra firm tofu so you can easily slice it into thin tofu cutlets.
Soft tofu and silky tofu will not work for this recipe.
Try to find a tomato puree or tomato passata imported from Italy. One of our favorites is Mutti tomato puree, but there are many other good ones.
Tomato puree (or tomato passata) produces a rich and creamy tomato sauce that perfectly fits the pan-fried tofu.
Garlic is one of the main ingredients in an excellent pizzaiola sauce. We like to slice it thinly so that it infuses its flavor into the sauce.
Dried oregano is the other main ingredient in this Italian tofu dish.
We fry the tofu with a bit of olive oil to taste delicious.
Salt and pepper
Salt and freshly ground black pepper add taste and flavor to the tofu and the sauce.
Drain the tofu from its water and pat it dry. Next, cut the tofu into 1/4-inch thin slices.
Fry it on a non-stick pan on medium heat with a drizzle of olive for 5 minutes on each side.
Season it with a pinch of salt and pepper.
Add tomato puree, dried oregano, thinly sliced garlic, and the remaining salt and pepper.
Spread the sauce and simmer on low heat for about 5 to 10 minutes until the tomato passata becomes a tasty pizzaiola sauce.
Serve this Italian-inspired tofu in a pizzaiola sauce as a main dish with sautéed or microwaved spinach and some crusty bread on the side to scoop up the delicious pizzaiola sauce.
Other delicious side dishes that go well with it are:
More Tofu Recipes
Are you looking for more protein-rich plant-based recipes? Then check out our:
- Vegan fish – made with baked tofu, lemon, tomatoes, and olives
- Tofu mushroom recipe – quick and easy on the stovetop
- Tofu salad – plenty of greens, tasty dressing, and plant-protein
- Cacciatore-style tofu – another Italian-inspired tofu dish in a hunter’s style sauce
- Fried tofu and air fryer tofu cubes – perfect for adding to salads or for snacking
- Vegan cream cheese – to spread on your favorite crunchy bread
- Tofu scramble – we make this with mushrooms or spinach. It’s delicious!
- Tofu in creamy lemon sauce
- Sticky orange tofu – tastier (and healthier) than Chinese takeout
For many more tofu ideas, check out our tofu category page.
Store the tofu with pizzaiola sauce for up to 2 days in the refrigerator. Then, warm up on a pan with a dash of water. You can also warm it up in the microwave.
Not suitable for freezing.
Tofu with Pizzaiola Sauce
- 8 ounces firm tofu
- 1½ cups tomato puree or passata
- 2 cloves garlic thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- Drain the tofu from its water and pat it dry. Next, cut the tofu into ¼-inch thin slices.Fry it on a non-stick pan on medium heat with a drizzle of olive for 5 minutes on each side.Season it with a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Add tomato puree, dried oregano, thinly sliced garlic, and the remaining salt and pepper.
- Spread the sauce and simmer on low heat for about 5 to 10 minutes until the tomato passata becomes a tasty pizzaiola sauce.
- Serve this Italian-inspired tofu in a pizzaiola sauce as a main dish with sautéed or microwaved spinach and some crusty bread on the side to scoop up the delicious pizzaiola sauce.
You might also like: