Smooth, creamy and incredibly refreshing Vegan Cream Cheese. Pick your favourite and use these for bagels, sandwiches, or as a dip with crunchy carrot sticks. These cream cheeses even make a beautiful and healthy antipasto on a cheeseboard served with crackers, grapes and nibbles.
Vegan Cream Cheese
- High speed blender
- 150 grams (5.5 oz) fresh tofu
- 50 grams (2 oz) cashew nuts
- 2 tbsp (2 tbsp) tahini (sesame paste)
- 1 tbsp (1 tbsp) nutritional yeast
- 1 tbsp (1 tbsp) lemon juice
- 200 ml (1 cup) unsweetened soy milk
- 2 tsp (2 tsp) agar agar powder
- salt, pepper to taste
Herb Cream Cheese
- 1 tbsp (1 tbsp) dill, chives
Turmeric Cream Cheese
- 1 tsp (1 tsp) turmeric powder
Garlic Cream Cheese
- 1 tsp (1 tsp) garlic powder
Paprika Chili Flakes Cream Cheese
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 1 tbsp chili flakes
- In a high speed blender, mix tofu, cashew nuts, tahini, nutritional yeast, half of the soy milk and lemon juice for 1 to 5 minutes or until silky smooth. Results vary greatly depending on the power of the blender. If you don't have a high speed blender, make sure to soak the cashews for at least 1 hour in warm water.
- Activate the agar agar: in a pot, pour remaining soy milk and agar agar and mix with a whisk to dissolve. Bring to boil while stirring, then turn off heat and transfer to the blender with other ingredients.
- Blitz everything together till very smooth.
- Pour the cream cheese(s) into (different) bowls or squared shapes. We used a silicon muffin mould. At this stage mix with herbs or spices of your choice; garlic, paprika, turmeric, chives or dill goes well in cream cheese.
- Let rest in the fridge for 1 hour or until cold.
- Serve on a cheese platter with fresh tomatoes, figs, vegetable sticks, sundried tomatoes, nuts and grapes. Enjoy!
Add your favourite spice or herbs to the cream cheese base. We prefer the fresh green herbs (dill, chives, thyme) over dried herbs as they give a richer and fresher taste.
If you want to add other cheese options to your antipasto, you can make this Vegan Ricotta with only 2 simple ingredients at home. We highly recommend making this one day in advance for the best results.
As a lunch preparation, spread a generous amount of cream cheese on a crunchy bagel or a piece of bread and drizzle with seas salt on top. It is perfect with homebred bread such as this easy no knead loaf.
You can store the cream cheese in the fridge in an air tight container for up to 3 days.
This recipe was adapted from "Formaggio vegan spalmabile".
🍝 Related recipes
- Vegan Supplì alla Romana - Italian fried stuffed rice balls
- Vegan Riso al Salto - Italian gourmet fried rice
- Italian Vegan Ricotta (2 ingredients & nut-free)
- Vegan Italian Barley Salad
- Vegan Flatbread
- Roasted bell peppers: how to roast, peel, and marinate
- Bruschetta with tomatoes
- Panzanella salad - zero waste & naturally vegan
Will you be making this Vegan Cream Cheese at home? Let us know in the comments below!