Black bean mango salad is a tasty and fulfilling meal with juicy mango, creamy avocado, crunchy bell peppers, nutty black beans, and nourishing quinoa.
Seasoned with our beloved cilantro lime dressing, this Mexican-inspired salad is the perfect companion for barbecues, cookouts, and meal-prepping.
On this page:
Little did we know that mango + black beans + quinoa = perfect flavor affinity.
These three ingredients together are excellent base elements for a delicious, nourishing, and refreshing mango black bean salad.
To tie everything together, we rely on a wonderful easy-to-make cilantro lime dressing that adds a tangy, herby, and slightly sweet taste to this vibrant mango black bean salad recipe.
Ingredients & Substitutions
You can use canned black beans or dry black beans.
Dry black beans don't require soaking because their skin is thinner than other varieties.
You can cook them right away in slightly salted boiling water for about 1.5 hours.
Substitute pinto beans, borlotti beans, or white beans for black beans.
You can use white, red, black, or rainbow quinoa.
Remember to rinse the quinoa under running water before cooking it because the quinoa seeds are coated with saponins that can be bitter.
Substitute whole-grain rice for quinoa. Both are suitable for gluten-free diets.
We recommend using fresh ripe mango.
Substitute pineapple for mango.
Red bell pepper is our favorite because it's sweeter than yellow, orange, or green peppers.
Substitute small tomatoes like cherry or date tomatoes for bell pepper.
Cucumber adds a cooling crunch. You can use English, American, or Persian cucumber.
Substitute cucumber with corn kernels, canned or frozen.
Red onion is tangy and a little acidic. We love it with the mango!
Make sure your red onion is not too sharp. If so, thinly slice it and soak it in cold water for 10 minutes before draining it and adding it to the black bean mango salad.
Substitute shallots or green onions for red onion.
Avocados are creamy and add healthy fats to this colorful salad. Plus, they are delicious with black beans and mango.
If you make this for meal prep, add the avo a few moments before serving the salad.
Red hot chilies
Red hot chilies are optional. We like this salad a little spicy, but if you don't, keep them out. Jalapeno pepper works well too.
Cilantro lime dressing
- Fresh cilantro leaves and the smaller stems, or fresh coriander. Substitute flat-leaf parsley.
- Fresh lime juice. Substitute fresh lemon juice.
- Maple syrup. Substitute honey or agave syrup.
- Fresh garlic. Substitute garlic powder.
- Fresh ginger.
- Salt and black pepper.
- Olive oil. Substitute avocado oil.
If you don't like cilantro (or can't find it where you live), we recommend making the dressing with flat-leaf parsley and lemon juice and keeping the other ingredients the same.
How to Make Black Bean Mango Salad
Rinse the quinoa under cold water, add it to a small pot with lightly salted water (or vegetable broth), bring to a boil, lower the heat, and simmer until the water evaporates - about 12 minutes.
Let cool down before adding to the veggies.
To a small blender or food processor, add cilantro, lime juice, maple syrup, grated garlic, grated ginger, salt, and olive oil.
Blend until the cilantro is finely chopped and the ingredients are well combined.
Tip: you can also do this by hand, chopping the cilantro with a knife and whisking the ingredients in a small bowl.
To a large bowl, add cooked quinoa, thinly sliced red onion, diced cucumber, diced red bell pepper, diced mango, drained and rinsed black beans, and diced avocado.
Pour the cilantro lime dressing and toss until well combined.
Tender roasted sweet potato meets creamy avocado, nutty black beans, and sweet corn for probably one of the best and most fulfilling black bean salads.
Check out our black bean salad with sweet potato.
This simple mango salad with red onion, red bell pepper, avocado, and olive oil is a quick, easy, delicious, and refreshing summer salad, excellent for a light lunch or as a side dish to picnics and barbeques.
Check out our mango salad recipe.
This black bean salad with mango and quinoa is a fulfilling recipe you can have as a healthy main meal.
You can also have it in smaller portions next to a main dish. It goes very well with anything grilled, like, for instance, our grilled tofu with peanut sauce, grilled chicken, shrimp, or salmon.
Make ahead: we recommend assembling the salad on the same day you eat it because the veggies release their juices, making the salad a little watery on the second and third days. However, you can prep the dressing and cook the quinoa up to 3 days in advance.
Refrigerator: keep leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days. Take out of the refrigerator 30 minutes before serving and mix well.
Freezer: not suitable for freezing.
More mango recipes
Get your mango game on with these fresh and healthy mango recipes:
More summer salad ideas
Get more fresh and seasonal salad ideas from these colorful dishes:
- Watermelon salad (watermelon, mint, lemon zest, feta, basil, pistachio nuts, etc.)
- Avocado salad (cherry tomatoes, lemon, red onion, parsley, avocado, etc.)
- Tomato cucumber salad (heirloom tomatoes, red onion, cucumber, parsley, etc.)
- Zucchini salad (zucchini ribbons, pine nuts, mint, cherry tomatoes, lemon, etc.)
- Panzanella (stale bread, tomato, cucumber, romaine lettuce, red onion, etc.)
For many more salad ideas, check out our salads category page.
Black Bean Mango Salad
- ½ cup quinoa
- 1 cup water + ½ teaspoon salt, or vegetable broth
- 2 ripe mangos diced
- 1 cup cucumber diced
- 1 can black beans or 1½ cups cooked black beans
- 1 red onion thinly sliced
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 1 ripe avocado
FOR THE CILANTRO LIME DRESSING
- 1 cup fresh cilantro use parsley if you don't like cilantro
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup lime juice use lemon juice if you use parsley
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 teaspoon ginger grated
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Rinse the quinoa under cold water, add it to a small pot with lightly salted water (or vegetable broth), bring to a boil, lower the heat, and simmer until the water evaporates - about 12 minutes.Let cool down before adding to the veggies.
- To a blender, add the ingredients for the cilantro lime dressing.Tip: No blender? Chop cilantro with a knife and whisk with other ingredients in a small bowl.
- To a large bowl, add cooked quinoa, thinly sliced red onion, diced cucumber, diced red bell pepper, diced mango, drained and rinsed black beans, and diced avocado.
- Pour the cilantro lime dressing and toss until well combined.