Cake donuts are cute, delicious, and easy-to-make treats that you can make in 30 minutes with simple pantry staples.
This recipe is for oven-baked cake donuts raised with baking powder, without yeast. You can expect a firm donut with a soft cake-like crumb and a delicious cinnamon sugar topping.
On this page:
Check out our best plant-based dessert recipes!
Whether you are a deep-fried cake donut or a yeast donut person, you cannot deny this oven-baked cake donut recipe's simplicity, taste, and versatility.
You can whip up the batter in 2 minutes, plus our recipe is without eggs and so easy to adapt for vegans. For chocolate lovers, here's our easy chocolate glazed donuts recipe.
Cake donuts bake in 20 minutes, meaning you can make them last minute in less than half an hour, which is fantastic!
They hold up perfectly and have a firm, yet airy cake-like texture. They are excellent for dunking in milk or latte, lasting for several days, and are fulfilling and delicious.
“Cake donuts are just alternatively shaped cupcakes or muffins. They live an existence of lies.”
“Cake donuts 4 life. <― also going to be my new tattoo”.Thompson, J. R. (2017, June 2). Which Is The Superior Donut: A Cake Donut Or A Yeast Donut? Huffington Post.
So which team are you on - cake or yeast donut?
All-purpose flour is all you need.
You can use white or brown sugar.
Any milk will do. We use almond milk. Other plant milks work equally well, including soy milk, oat milk, and rice milk.
We recommend neutral-flavored vegetable oil such as sunflower or canola oil.
Vanilla extract helps infuse the batter with a cozy warm vanilla flavor. You can substitute the seeds of a real vanilla pod for vanilla extract.
Cinnamon is a key ingredient in our cake donuts; we add it to the batter and topping.
If you make a winter edition donut close to the holidays, you can add other spices such as grated nutmeg, all-spice, and ginger.
A pinch of salt helps tie together the other flavors and make the cake donuts more delicious.
Baking powder is the raising agent in this recipe, and it's essential.
If unsure if your baking powder is still active, you can test it by pouring one cup of boiling water onto 1 teaspoon of baking powder in a small bowl. If the powder foams, it means it's active, and you can use it.
This recipe does not require baking soda or vinegar.
Sugar and cinnamon coating
We like to top our donuts with a simple cinnamon-sugar mix. You'll need a little milk to make the top of the donut wet, sugar, and cinnamon.
You can, of course, top them with a simple glaze and sprinkles, too, if you like.
You'll need a 12-donut baking pan.
Make the donut batter
Preheat the oven to 340°F or 170°C. Brush your donut baking pan with butter or dairy-free butter.
To a large mixing bowl, add flour, sugar, cinnamon, salt, and baking powder. Whisk to combine.
Add milk, oil, and vanilla extract and whisk the donut batter until combined, without overmixing.
With the help of a spoon, pour the mixture into the donut pan, filling the molds a little over half full.
Tip: fill the mold less than you think, and never more than ¾ to the top, or your cake doughnuts will turn out without holes.
Bake the donuts
Bake at 340°F or 170°C for 20 minutes. Let them cool down for 10 minutes in the pan, then take them out and serve or coat them in cinnamon sugar.
Apply cinnamon sugar
Fill one bowl with milk and the other with cinnamon stirred in sugar.
Dip the top of the donuts in the milk, then dip it in the cinnamon sugar and arrange them on a wire rack to cool.
You can serve them immediately with tea, coffee, milk, or a latte.
Chocolate glazed donuts
If you like chocolate and chocolate glaze, try these 30-minute chocolate glazed donuts that are easy to make and perfect for a lazy Sunday.
Homemade Yeast Donuts
Soft, light, and airy, our easy vegan yeast donut recipe will produce the best donuts you'll ever have. It's excellent for baking in the oven or deep-frying.
Check out our vegan donuts recipe.
Carrot and orange cake donuts
These are original, moist, delicious cake donuts made with our orange and carrot cake batter. These are perfect for you if you are looking for a new donut flavor.
Check out our carrot and orange cake recipe.
Make Ahead & Storage
Make Ahead: this recipe is excellent for making ahead because the donuts keep very well for several days.
Room temperature: store donuts in a food-grade plastic bag or an airtight container at room temperature for up to 4 - 5 days. If they get a little dry on the last day, warm them in the microwave for 1 minute to bring out the moisture in the dough.
Freezer: cake donuts are great for freezing. Let them cool down completely, arrange them in a freezer-friendly bag and freeze them for up to 6 months.
Thaw: defrost in the microwave for a couple of minutes or fridge over several hours.
More Easy Baking Ideas
If you love no-fuss baking, get inspiration from these easy and tasty baking ideas:
- Easy vanilla cake with vegan cream cheese frosting and a light and airy crumb.
- 1-bowl banana bread with just 7 ingredients, a super easy sweet treat.
- 30-minute apple muffins: with tender pieces of apple, a wholesome snack, and a dessert idea.
- Favorite apple cake: a reader's favorite easy cake with apple, cinnamon, and a moist and light cake crumb.
- Cinnamon-sugar-covered pear cake: an Italian-inspired sweet and pear-tender cake.
More Weekend Recipes
Get ready for your next Sunday brunch with these bright and easy brunch recipes:
- Potato frittata with chickpea flour and leek, perfect for meal prep and healthy breakfast.
- Oatmeal pancakes with apple compote, an easy 20-minute recipe.
- 5-minute tofu scramble: pairs perfectly with toasted bread and sliced avocado.
- Banana pancakes: ready in 20 minutes, with an airy and light pancake consistency.
- 12-donut baking pan
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅔ cup milk any, we use almond milk
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ cup milk any, we use almond milk
MAKE DONUT BATTER
- Preheat the oven to 340°F or 170°C. Brush your donut baking pan with butter or dairy-free butter.To a large bowl, add the dry ingredients and whisk to combine.
- Add the wet ingredients, and whisk until combined, without overmixing.
BAKE THE DONUTS
- With the help of a spoon, pour the mixture into the donut pan, filling the molds a little over half full.
- Bake at 340°F or 170°C for 20 minutes. Let them cool down for 10 minutes in the pan, then take them out and serve or coat them in cinnamon sugar.
APPLY CINNAMON SUGAR
- In a small bowl, add milk. In another small bowl, add cinnamon stirred in sugar.Dip the top half of each donut in milk first and in cinnamon sugar later, and arrange on a wire rack to cool.
- You can serve the donuts right away, with milk, coffee, or a latte.
If you liked these easy cake donuts, you might also enjoy the following: