White bean aglio olio pasta is our take on classic spaghetti aglio olio. The beans add a wonderful flavor, superb nutrition, and a creamy texture to this delicious dish.
You can make this simple recipe in the time it takes to cook the pasta with simple pantry staples. It's an excellent, tasty, and budget-friendly family dinner!
Check out our Easy Pasta Recipes
On this page:
Everyone knows spaghetti aglio e olio, a classic Italian pasta dish that's become an international sensation thanks to its simplicity and taste.
Our white bean aglio olio is our take on this popular pasta dish. We think tender and creamy cannellini beans are superb with the tasty aglio e olio sauce.
They add plenty of creaminess and a pleasant nutty flavor to this dish, and as a bonus, they improve its nutrition by adding healthy fiber and protein.
Making it cannot be easier. All you have to do is toss a can of drained white beans in the aglio e olio sauce, add the pasta, et voilà.
You've got a nutritious, creamy, tasty, and easy-to-make pasta recipe the whole family will love.
Pick your favorite pasta type. We like making white bean aglio olio with spaghetti, but any other shape will work fine.
Use fresh garlic (garlic powder won't work) and chop it finely with a knife.
Chilis or red pepper flakes
You can use red pepper flakes or thinly sliced fresh chilis. Adjust the level of spiciness based on your preference.
Go for Italian parsley or flat-leaf parsley for best results.
We recommend canned cannellini beans because they have thin skin and a mild flavor that goes perfectly with the aglio e olio sauce.
Substitute any other type of white bean for cannellini.
You'll need salt for the sauce and the pasta water. We recommend sea salt.
Finely chop garlic, parsley, and chili (if you use red pepper flakes, you don't have to chop them).
Warm up the olive oil in a large skillet, add garlic and chili, and fry them on low heat for 30 seconds.
Add the chopped parsley, drained and rinsed cannellini beans, and cook them in the oil on medium-low heat for about 5 minutes.
In the meantime, cook the pasta in a large pot of salted boiling water per package instructions minus 1 minute.
When the pasta is ready, reserve one cup of pasta cooking water, drain the pasta, and add it to the pan with the sauce.
Add one ladleful of reserve pasta water (or more if necessary), toss, and cook for a minute or until the pasta is al dente and thoroughly coated in the sauce.
Serve immediately with a couple of spoonfuls of white bean aglio olio sauce on top.
Spaghetti aglio e olio
A classic dish that won't disappoint, made with olive oil, garlic, chilies, and parsley, is a weeknight dinner savior you can make in 15 minutes.
Check out our spaghetti aglio olio recipe.
Broccoli aglio olio
Broccoli aglio olio is a quick, simple, and creamy dish made with the same sauce as above mixed with tender broccoli florets cooked in the same pot with the pasta.
It's a beautiful way to add veggies to this delicious pasta dish.
Check out our broccoli aglio olio recipe.
Lemon spinach aglio olio
Garlic, oil, chilies, spinach, and lemon are lovely together. Try this recipe for a simple and tasty weeknight dinner. It's ready in 20 minutes.
Check out our lemon-spinach aglio e olio.
Serve this recipe with a simple vegetable side to make it a complete meal:
- Avocado salad (cherry tomatoes, red onion, lemon juice, parsley, avocado, olive oil, etc.)
- Tomato cucumber salad (cucumber, heirloom tomatoes, red onion, balsamic vinegar, etc.)
- Arugula salad (red apple, walnuts, arugula, parmesan or vegan alternative, lemon, etc.)
- Pear salad (arugula, orange wedges, pears, dried cranberries, ricotta or vegan ricotta, etc.)
- Orange and fennel salad (fennel, pomegranate seeds, pine nuts, orange wedges, etc.)
Or top the pasta with veggies:
- Confit tomato (cherry tomatoes, sugar, olive oil, oregano, etc.)
- Air fryer zucchini (paprika, garlic powder, zucchini, chili powder, olive oil, etc.)
- Roasted eggplant (garlic, eggplant, parsley, olive oil, vinegar, etc.)
- Sautéed kale (kale, olive oil, garlic, salt, etc.)
- Sautéed mushrooms (mushrooms, olive oil, garlic, parsley, etc.)
Make ahead: this is not the best recipe to make ahead or use for meal prep, as the pasta is best right after it is cooked.
Refrigerator: keep leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 36 hours. Reheat in the microwave for 2 minutes or in a pan with a dash of water.
Freezer: this recipe is not freezer friendly.
More easy pasta recipes
- Broccoli pasta (broccoli, orecchiette pasta, red pepper flakes, parmesan or vegan cheese, etc.)
- Hummus pasta (hummus, sautéed mushrooms, rigatoni pasta, parsley, etc.)
- Spaghetti Pomodoro (canned tomatoes, spaghetti, onion, parsley, olive oil, etc.)
- Pasta alla Puttanesca (capers, olives, red pepper flakes, canned tomato, spaghetti, etc.)
- Pasta e fagioli (kidney beans, pasta, canned tomato, onion, celery, carrot, rosemary, etc.)
For many more pasta ideas, check out our pasta category page.
White bean aglio olio
White bean aglio olio sauce
- ⅓ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 small red chili finely chopped, or 1 - 2 teaspoons red pepper flakes. Adjust to your liking.
- 2 handfuls parsley finely chopped
- 1 can (15 ounces) cannellini beans
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 12 ounces spaghetti
- ¾ gallon boiling water to cook the pasta
- 1½ tablespoon salt for the pasta water
- Finely chop 3 cloves garlic, 2 handfuls parsley, and 1 small red chili (if you use red pepper flakes, you don't have to chop them).Warm up ⅓ cup extra virgin olive oil in a large skillet, add garlic and chili, and fry them on low heat for 30 seconds.
- Add the chopped parsley, 1 can (15 ounces) cannellini beans (drained and rinsed), ¼ teaspoon salt, and cook them in the oil on medium-low heat for about 5 minutes.
- In the meantime, cook 12 ounces spaghetti in a large pot with ¾ gallon boiling water salted with 1½ tablespoon salt. Cook as per package instructions minus 1 minute.
- When the pasta is ready, reserve one cup of pasta cooking water, drain the pasta, and add it to the pan with the sauce.Add one ladleful of reserve pasta water (or more if necessary), toss, and cook for a minute or until the pasta is al dente and thoroughly coated in the sauce.
- Serve immediately with a couple of spoonfuls of white bean aglio olio sauce on top.
If you liked this pasta, you might also enjoy:
Leave a comment and star rating :-)