This healthy and easy pasta recipes is inspired by southern Italian traditions. In fact, this dish takes us back to Apuglian (Puglia) traditions.
The regional Apuglian dish is called "orecchiette con cime di rapa". It is one of my (Nico's) favourite pasta dishes of all times.
But in this vegan version, we had to find a replacement for the anchovies. The problem is that anchovies are one of the most umami loaded foods you can find, but they're not vegan.
As a solution, to replace umami, we used finely chopped sun-dried tomatoes, cooked in a soy sauce. We are very happy with the result! And we are excited to hear what you think about our orecchiette apulian style.
Did you know? Apulian farmers have been using "fake" parmesan cheese before veganism was a thing. Check out our recipe here. It goes well with this pasta.
- 400 grams Orecchiette made with durum wheat
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil 1 tbsp per person
- 3 cloves of garlic peeled and cut in half
- 50 grams sun-dried tomatoes finely chopped
- 2 tbsp soy or tamari sauce
- 1 tbsp chili flakes or 1/2 fresh red chili
- 400 grams lacinato kale (cavolo nero) kale or chard work well too
- 1 head broccoli florets
- 1 tbsp coarse sea salt
- 2 L water
- 4 tbsp fake parmesan cheese
- In a pot, bring the water to boil, add the coarse sea salt and boil the orecchiette with the broccoli florets (all in the same water). If you use fresh orecchiette you can boil the broccoli and the orecchiette together as they will only take 5 minutes or less to cook. If you use dry store bought pasta, then cook the orecchiette in the water first for about 4 minutes, then add the broccoli florets to the pot and finish cooking till the pasta is al dente for another 4 / 5 minutes.
- While the pasta cook prep the sauce. In a wide pan on medium heat, fry the garlic with the olive oil for 1 minute or until golden. Then add the chopped sun-dried tomatoes, the soy sauce, and the chili flakes. Let cook together for another minute on medium-low heat.
- Add the lacinato kale (or kale or chard) to the pan and cook for about 3 to 5 minutes, adding some pasta water. Tear the black kale apart with your hands while adding it to the pan.
- When the pasta and the broccoli are cooked, add it to the pan with the kale and stir everything together for another minute. Bring all the sauce and the pasta together by adding some pasta cooking water and some fake parmesan cheese (recipe on our blog). Serve immediately and enjoy!
NUTRITION PER PORTION
STEP BY STEP VIDEO RECIPE
Check out our homemade orecchiette recipe! It's 3 ingredients and super simple and fun to make 🙂
Here's the fake parmesan cheese recipe. A traditional southern Italian treat that goes great with this 10 minutes healthy pasta, or any other pasta really.
And don't throw away the stems of kale and broccoli. Make some zero waste recipes instead. Here's our zero waste pizza noodles 🙂
We hope you liked this quick 10 minutes healthy pasta dish. It's simple, fresh, healthy, and al dente. We think you might also like our creamy vegan carbonara and our colourful pasta with red pepper sauce.
And if you have any tips or questions, we would love to hear from you in our comment section below.
Thank you for following our blog. Stay healthy, stay foolish.