Cambia lingua / Switch language: ITA
Our homemade margarine is made with simple ingredients, it's 100% vegan, and it can be whipped up with a hand blender in about 5 minutes. It's perfect to make cakes, cookies, and crunchy preparations, and it can also be used as a spread on bread and toast. See how we use it in our vegan cannoli siciliani or in our vegan angel wings (Italian Chiacchiere).
Ingredients & Substitutions
- Sunflower oil: we like to use sunflower oil because it has a light flavour and it is easy to find. You can replace it with any vegetable oil of your liking. Keep in mind that if you use coconut oil your margarina will be harder, more like a vegan butter.
- Soy milk: perfect thanks to its emulsifying properties. I would not replace it with any other plant milk for this recipe.
- Lemon juice: helps both the flavour and the emulsion. No seeds.
- Salt: to make it taste better. Just a pinch.
You'll need an immersion blender and a tall and narrow container that can fit the blender.
- Milk at room temperature. In my experience, this margarine thickens best if the ingredients are at the same temperature.
- Start with the milk. You need to always start with the milk and lemon in a container before adding the oil. The other way around won't work.
- Add the oil very slowly. This is essential when you are trying to make any kind of emulsion - margarine is an emulsion of a liquid and a fat. If you add the oil too fast your margarine won't thicken.
- Blend in a tall container. For best results, blend your ingredients in a narrow and tall container. This way it's a lot easier for the emulsion to thicken.
- Move the blender up and down while blending. This movement will help the margarine to form.
Store your vegan margarine up to 5 days in an air tight container - something like a mason jar - in the refrigerator.
Questions & Answers
An emulsion is when we put together two or more liquids that would otherwise never get together - like oil and plant-milk.
Yes. Use whatever oil you like. But we recommend using an oil with a neutral flavour.
Soy milk works the best due to its protein content. You can try with another plant-milk but I can't guarantee the result.
Yes, but your margarine will turn into vegan butter as coconut oil is a saturated fat and will solidify when put in the refrigerator.
Where can I use my vegan margarine?
- You can use your vegan margarine in preparations that call for margarine or butter. Cakes, cookies, pancakes, and other crunchy preparations.
- You can also use your vegan margarine as a spread on toasted bread and in sandwiches.
- We love to use it in our vegan Sicilian cannoli and in our Angel Wings (Italian chiacchiere).
- Hand blender
- 200 g (0.9 cups) sunflower seed oil
- 100 g (0.4 cups) soy milk
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 pinch salt
- In a tall and narrow container (something like a tall mason jar with a wide opening) add the soy milk at room temperature, the lemon juice and a pinch of salt.
- With a hand blender, start blending into the soy milk. Then add the oil in a steady stream, very slowly. NOT all at once. Keep blending at all times.
- Drizzle the oil very slowly while blending and while moving the blender up and down into the soy milk.
- Keep adding the oil, very slowly, until you run out of oil. Blend while moving the blender up and down until you reach a thick, creamy, consistency.
- Store the margarine in the refrigerator in a glass jar for up to 5 days. Use for cakes, biscuits, cookies, and crispy preparations. You can also use it as a spread on toasted bread.
Will you be making this dish? Let us know in the comments below or tag us on instagram @italiaplantbased.