Cambia lingua / Switch language: Italiano
Our homemade margarine is made with simple ingredients, it's 100% vegan, and it can be whipped up with a hand blender in about 5 minutes. It's perfect to make cakes, cookies, and crunchy preparations, and it can also be used as a spread on bread and toast. See how we use it in our vegan cannoli siciliani or in our vegan angel wings (Italian Chiacchiere).
- Hand blender
- 200 g (0.9 cups) sunflower seed oil
- 100 g (0.4 cups) soy milk
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 pinch salt
- In a tall and narrow container (something like a tall mason jar with a wide opening) add the soy milk at room temperature, the lemon juice and a pinch of salt.
- With a hand blender, start blending into the soy milk. Then add the oil in a steady stream, very slowly. NOT all at once. Keep blending at all times.
- Drizzle the oil very slowly while blending and while moving the blender up and down into the soy milk.
- Keep adding the oil, very slowly, until you run out of oil. Blend while moving the blender up and down until you reach a thick, creamy, consistency.
- Store the margarine in the refrigerator in a glass jar for up to 5 days. Use for cakes, biscuits, cookies, and crispy preparations. You can also use it as a spread on toasted bread.
- Milk at room temperature. In my experience, this margarine thickens best if the ingredients are at the same temperature.
- Start with the milk. You need to always start with the milk and lemon in a container before adding the oil. The other way around won't work.
- Add the oil very slowly. This is essential when you are trying to make any kind of emulsion - margarine is an emulsion of a liquid and a fat. If you add the oil too fast your margarine won't thicken.
- Blend in a tall container. For best results, blend your ingredients in a narrow and tall container. This way it's a lot easier for the emulsion to thicken.
- Move the blender up and down while blending. This movement will help the margarine to form.
Store your vegan margarine up to 5 days in an air tight container - something like a mason jar - in the refrigerator.
📖 Questions & Answers
An emulsion is when we put together two or more liquids that would otherwise never get together - like oil and plant-milk.
Yes. Use whatever oil you like. But we recommend using an oil with a neutral flavour.
Soy milk works the best due to its protein content. You can try with another plant-milk but I can't guarantee the result.
Yes, but your margarine will turn into vegan butter as coconut oil is a saturated fat and will solidify when put in the refrigerator.
🍜 Where can I use my vegan margarine?
- You can use your vegan margarine in preparations that call for margarine or butter. Cakes, cookies, pancakes, and other crunchy preparations.
- You can also use your vegan margarine as a spread on toasted bread and in sandwiches.
- We love to use it in our vegan Sicilian cannoli and in our Angel Wings (Italian chiacchiere).
🍰 Related recipes
Will you be making this dish? Let us know in the comments below!