This red pepper pasta is creamy, cheesy, and completely plant-based. The red pepper sauce is so good you'll want to put it on top of everything.
How to make red pepper pasta with roasted cauliflower
Red pepper pasta with roasted cauliflower
For the sauce (the sauce serves 5 to 8 portions, I find it more practical to do it for 8 and save the leftovers in a jar)
- 8 ounces (200 grams) roasted bell peppers drained, from a jar or can
- 14.5 ounces (400 grams) canned tomatoes 1 jar or can (you can use any canned tomatoes or tomato sauce)
- ¾ cup (100 grams) almonds peeled (or cashews)
- 1 cup (240 grams) water
- 1 teaspoon (5 grams) salt
- ½ clove garlic
For the roasted cauliflower
- 1 cauliflower
- 2 tablespoons (30 grams) olive oil
- 1 pinch salt
For the pasta (with 1 pound of pasta you can serve 5 to 8 people)
- 1 pound (450 grams) pasta penne, ziti, maccheroni, etc
- ½ teaspoon chili flakes optional
- 1 handful parsley optional
- Clean the cauliflower, cut it up into small florets, and bake it in the oven with some olive oil and salt at 350F or 180C for 30 minutes.
- In the meantime put the water for the pasta to boil then make the pasta sauce. To a blender, add canned tomatoes, roasted bell peppers, almonds, water, garlic and salt.
- Blend for 5 minutes until the sauce is completely smooth.
- Transfer the sauce to a non stick pan and let simmer on low heat for 10 minutes. Taste and adjust for salt if necessary.TIP: the sauce is enough to serve 8 portions. If you are making pasta for less people, then only use the sauce you need, then store the leftover in a jar in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
- While the sauce simmers, cook the pasta in salted boiling water. Drain when al dente, but save 2 cups of pasta cooking water.
- Add the cooked pasta to the pan with the sauce, add 1 cup of pasta cooking water and the baked cauliflower. I like to add half of the cauliflower, and eat the other half as a side.Stir gently, adding more pasta water if necessary. Sprinkle with parsley and chili flakes, and serve.
- Red pepper sauce: store in the refrigerator in an air-tight container, like a mason jar, for up to 5 days. Store the sauce before cooking it on the pan.
- Pasta: if you have leftover pasta (with the sauce) you can eat it the day after, even cold. It will be still delicious. Store in the refrigerator in an air-tight container for up to 24 hours.
If you liked this recipe, you might also like:
Did you try this recipe at home? Let us know in the comments below 🙂