Here is a wholesome vegan oat risotto with peas. We make it with whole oats and is incredibly tasty and nutritious. Green peas are added for a rich flavour and creamy texture. We sprinkle with fresh parsley to add some freshness and extra colour.
TIP 1: Go beyond rice. Get creative and make your risotto with your favourite whole grain. In this recipe we did it with whole grain oats, and it tasted freaking incredible. But you can do it with any grain that resemble risotto rice. For instance, barley is a very tasty choice.
TIP 2: No need for oil and butter. Risotto is typically full of fat. In fact, the original Italian recipes starts with frying the onion in oil, and ends with mantecare the rice in butter and parmesan cheese. Instead, try making a cream with dominant vegetable, like peas or pumpkin as we did here and avoid loading it with butter and cheese.
TIP 3: Cook slow. For the best risotto, you need to add vegetable broth that is very hot or else you'll reduce the temperature of the rice and the dish won't cook properly. Also, add vegetable stock little by little, or better, ladle by ladle. You don't want to drown your risotto in vegetable stock, and end up with bland boiled rice.
Vegan oat risotto with peas
- 500 g (3.5 cups) peas frozen
- 400 g (2 cups) wholegrain oats
- 1 medium onion
- 4 litres (1 gal) vegetable broth
- 1 tbsp parsley
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- In a large pot prepare about 3 to 4 litres of vegetable broth. Then finely chop one medium onion. In a pan, add 1 ladle of vegetable broth and let the onion soften up for 5 minutes. Keep the heat on medium.
- Add the oats to the pan and let toast while stirring for about 2 minutes.
- Add 2 ladle of vegetable broth to the oat and stir often, until the broth has evaporated. Repeat this step until the oats are almost ready to be served. NOTE: keep the broth on the heat at all times, you need to add it to the oats while it's hot. Do not add more than 2 ladles of broth at a time or you won't get the creamy risotto consistency.
- While the oats are cooking you can prep the peas. In salted boiling water, cook the frozen peas as instructed on the package. Drain them and place them in a blender. NOTE: if you salt the cooking water there is no need to add extra salt to the peas.
- Blend until you get a very smooth cream and set aside.
- Keep cooking the oats adding 2 ladle of broth at a time. Then, when almost cocked, add the pea cream to the oats and finish cooking for about 2 minutes making sure that the peas are well incorporated with the oats.
- Add some more broth if needed. You want the consistency to be creamy and wavy and a bit more runny than you think as the oats will thicken up as you serve them.
- Serve on a flat plate, sprinkle with parsley, a pinch of pepper and drizzle of good quality extra virgin olive oil.
🍝 Related recipes
Did you try this recipe at home? Let us know in the comments below, or take a picture and tag us on Instagram @italiaplantbased.