Cambia lingua: Italiano
This wholegrain apple cake takes inspiration from our Italian Apple Cake recipe. Here we replace refined ingredients like flour and sugar with wholegrain flour and unrefined cane sugar. The result is a soft and moist cake with a strong apple and grain flavour. We love this one even more than the original as it is both delicious and nourishing. This wholegrain apple cake is also vegan.
🎥 YouTube Video
Wholegrain Apple Cake (Vegan)
- Springform pan or cake pan (18cm / 7inch)
- 150 g (1.4 cups) first clear flour very strong or hard
- 150 g (1.3 cups) whole wheat flour wholemeal
- 180 g (0.8 cups) soy yogurt
- 150 g (0.8 cups) unrefined cane sugar plus 2 tbsp to sprinkle on top
- 130 g (0.5 cups) plant milk soy, almond, oats
- 40 g (0.2 cups) sunflower seed oil
- 16 g (3.2 tsp) baking powder
- 3 (3 ) apples
- 1 tbsp powdered sugar for topping optional
- Preheat the oven at 180C / 356F. In a bowl, add the soy yogurt, then while mixing with a whisk add the unrefined sugar, the plant milk and the oil. Whisk till the ingredients are well mixed together.
- Now pass the two flours and the baking powder through a sieve. Then add them to the bowl with the liquid, ⅓ at the time, while mixing with a spatula.
- Keep mixing with a spatula until all ingredients are well incorporated, then set aside.TIP: depending on your wholegrain flour you might need to add a bit more milk. Do so if necessary. TIP: try to mix with a circular movement from bottom to top of the bowl, like if you are trying to incorporate air into the dough. This will make the cake lighter.
- Peel the apples. Then cut them into quarters and remove stem and seeds. Take 1 apple (4 quarters) and cut it into small pieces on the short side. This is to add to the batter.Take 2 apples (8 quarters) and cut them into thin wedges on the long side. This is for the top of the cake.
- Add the small pieces of 1 apple to the cake batter, then mix with the spatula until the apple pieces are well incorporated into the batter.
- Lightly oil your springform pan (or cake pan), then dust it with flour. Now pour the cake batter into the cake pan.
- Cover the top of the cake with the apple wedges with a circular pattern, overlappig the wedges a bit. Then sprinkle the apples with 1 to 2 tbsp of unrefined sugar.
- Bake the cake at 180C / 356 F for 1 hour. Take out of the oven, let cool for at least 1 hour. Then sprinkle with some powdered sugar if you want, and buon appetito!TIP: bake on a baking rack, not on a baking tray, because the tray will get too hot and might overcook the base of the cake.
Use organic soy products because the non organic ones can be GMO and full of pesticides. They are also damaging to the environment.
Use organic flours because the non organic ones are literally covered in pesticides that in the long term will harm your health.
Sift the flour while adding it to the mix. This will break down any lumps and will help you incorporate air into the cake. In turn your cake will be lighter and fluffier. You can sift with a regular kitchen sieve.
Mix the cake batter with a circular movement from bottom to top to incorporate as much air as possible into it. This will make your cake lighter.
This Wholegrain Apple Cake keeps well for 2-3 days if stored inside an airtight container or placed under a glass bell.
If you want to re-heat the cake, you can do so in a preheated oven for 5-7 minutes in order to make it softer. Even after several days, when you reheat the cake, it will still be as soft and warm as when you prepared it.
If you like this Vegan Wholegrain Apple Cake you might also like these 2 variations that can be made with a similar dough:
1. Classic Italian Apple Cake
A simple vegan Italian cake recipe that is soft, moist, fluffy, very easy to make and full of apple flavour. Did you know that in Italy we eat this for breakfast, or as a mid-afternoon snack?
We love apple cake so much that we made a custard-filled version of it. Don't worry! This custard-filled apple cake is still 100% vegan, light, fluffy and full of apple flavour. We make it so that the custard coats the apple pieces in the cake, for a super moist and soft cake.
🍰 Related recipes
Will you be baking this Wholegrain Apple Cake at home? Let us know in the comments. It makes us very happy when we see your creations.
Cambia lingua: Italiano