This Vegan Smoked Eggplant is a classic in the Mediterranean kitchen. Baked, broken and beautifully mushy aubergines with a smoky twist and a mind-blowing creamy avocado spread with a surprising spin (spoiler: it’s the tahini!).
Vegan Smoked Eggplant
- Food processor
- 2 (2 ) Eggplants
- 4 (2 ) whole grain pita breads
- 240 grams (1.5 cups) canned chickpeas
- ¾ tsp (¾ tsp) cumin seeds
- ¾ tsp (¾ tsp) paprika
- 5 grains (5 grains) black pepper
- ½ (½ ) jalapeño
- ½ cup (½ cup) water
- salt, pepper
- 300 grams (2 cups) date tomatoes
- ½ bunch (½ bunch) flat-leaf parsley
- 1 tbsp (1 tbsp) apple cider vinegar
- 1 clove (1 clove) garlic
- salt, pepper
- 1 whole (1 whole) avocado
- 1 tbsp (1 tbsp) tahini
- 1 tbsp (1 tbsp) lemon juice
- 1 tsp (1 tsp) lemon zest
- ½ clove (½ clove) garlic
- salt, pepper
Smoked Tahini Dressing
- 1 tsp (1 tsp) tahini
- ¾ tsp (1 tsp) dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp (2 tbsp) lemon juice
- 3 tbsp (3 tbsp) water
- 4 drops (4 drops) liquid smoke
- Preheat the over to 220˚C (440˚F)
- Cut the aubergines in half and bake them flat in the oven for 30 min, or until soft.
- On a stainless steel pan, toast the cumin seeds, the paprika and the black pepper grains for 2-3 mins until brown. Remove from the heat and crush them in a mortar, food processor or with a knife.
- On the same pan, mix the crushed spices with the rinsed chickpeas and add thinly sliced jalapeño to the mix. Add water and salt when spices and chickpeas start clinging to pan.
- Let simmer on medium heat (while stirring) for 3-4 mins. Set aside once chickpeas have "absorbed" the spices.
- Rinse tomatoes and chop into fine dices. Set aside.
- Rinse parsley and chop it finely. Add chopped parsley into the tomato mix.
- Add salt, pepper, apple cider vinegar and 1 clove of roughly chopped garlic. Mix well with a spoon and let rest for at least 15 mins at room temperature.
- In a food processor, mix avocado, tahini, garlic, lemon zest, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Mix for 1 min on low speed, and avoid high speed blender such as "vitamix" as the heat of this may turn the avocado bitter in taste. Set aside.
- In a bowl, whisk tahini, dijon mustard, water, lemon juice, salt, and liquid smoke.
Build the Dish
- Once the aubergines are baked, take them out of the oven and let cool for 5 mins. Warm up pita bread in the oven for about 5 minutes.
- To assemble the dish, distribute avocado spread on top of the aubergines. Top with a generous amount of chickpeas and tomato-mix. Finish with tahini dressing and drizzle with chopped parsley on top. Serve with warm pita bread.
- How to avoid bitterness in eggplants: when in the supermarket or green gocerers, look for the smaller and younger eggplants for roasting. Typically, you can avoid bitterness and stringy consistency if you choose smaller and younger eggplants.
- Bake the Eggplants until they are soft: eggplants are best when they are fully roasted and tender inside. To ensure that your eggplants are soft inside, stick a fork through the flesh and once ready, the fork will glide through.
You can easily add a side of Vegan Italian Flatbread for extra dipping options to the dish.
Serve with Stuffed Bell Peppers for a Healthy and delicious Mediterranean buffet
This dish does't store well. Consume within one day of making it. You can, however, make some extra salsa and chickpeas to use as side dish for other meals or snacks.
This recipe was adapted from "Food to Glow".
🍝 Related recipes
Will you be making this vegan smoked eggplant at home? Let us know in the comments below!