Bread rolls with a creamy and sweet centre. These Vegan Pumpkin Bread Rolls are disguised in a purple dough "cover" and work as a delicious snack, dessert or sweet breakfast. The rolls are soft and indulgent and perfect for an autumn dessert - kids and adults will love them.
Vegan Pumpkin Bread Rolls
- Cooking string: 8 x 90cm | 35 inches
FOR PUMPKIN FILLING
- 200 grams (1.7 cups) pumpkin or red kuri squash
- 100 grams (3.5 oz) cannellini beans
- 80 grams (2.8 oz) cane sugar
FOR BUNS DOUGH
- 50 grams (1.8 oz) purple potato or red beet
- 300 grams (2.4 cups) flour of your choice
- 120 grams (4.2 oz) water
- 5 grams (0.7 cups) active dry yeast
- 10 grams (0.4 oz) cane sugar or other sweetener
- ½ tsp (½ tsp) salt
- 16 pumpkin seeds
MAKE THE FILLING
- Peel the pumpkin and the purple potato, cut them into cube, steam them or boil them.
- Blend together the steamed pumpkin, the white beans, and the sugar, until you have a very smooth paste.
MAKE THE DOUGH
- Blend together the purple potato, the water, and the sugar. Let cool to 35˚C | 95˚F or you will kill the yeast. You can substitute red beet if you don't find purple potatoes.
- In a bowl, mix together the flour, the purple liquid, the active dry yeast, the salt, the sugar, and knead for about 5 minutes, or until the ingredients are well incorporated.
- Cover with a cloth and let proof for about 1 hour, or until it double in size.
- Cut the dough into 8 equal pieces. Then start making the buns. See video for clarity.
- Once shaped, let the buns proof for another 20 minutes.
- Bake in the over at 150˚C | 300˚F for 20 minutes. Let them cool down and remove the string before eating them.
- You can add some pumpkin seeds on top to make the stem.
CHANGES YOU CAN MAKE
Colour: for other festive occasions, you can colour the dough with other healthy ingredients, such as turmeric (yellow), beet powder (red) and spinach powder (green).
Desserts with Pumpkin: If you have pumpkin leftovers, and you are keen on trying other desserts, we recommend these Vegan Pumpkin Muffins.
For Halloween, these Halloween Pumpkin treats are easy and fast to make, but look quite impressive.
Fridge: freshly made Pumpkin Buns can be stored in a refrigerator for 2-3 days.
Freezer: If you want to freeze your homemade pumpkin buns, place them on a piece of parchment paper. Then, freeze them without them touching each other for 30 minutes, or until solid. Avoid stacking them as this will ruin their shape. Once they are individually frozen, they can be transferred to an air-tight container and stored in the freezer for up to 6 months.
This recipe was adapted from the amazing Peaceful Cuisine.
🍰 Related recipes
Will you be making these Vegan Pumpkin Bread Rolls at home? Let us know in the comments below!