This Vegan Fish Bake recipe is inspired by the southern regions of Italy and the traditions of cooking fish in parchment paper. I made it plant-based by replacing the fish with some fresh tofu, and giving it a fish-y flavour by adding some finely minced nori sheets. The result is a tender and tasty tofu-fish-fillet with loads of umami.
Vegan Fish Bake
- 300 grams (4.5 cups) kale
- 220 grams (7.8 oz) organic firm tofu
- 200 grams (1.3 cups) cherry tomatoes
- 50 grams (1.8 oz) black olives pitted
- 30 grams (1.1 oz) capers pickled
- 20 grams (0.7 oz) flat leaf parsley finely chopped
- 3 grams (0.6 cups) nori seaweed 1 sheet, finely minced
- 6 thin slices (6 thin slices) organic lemon
- 2-3 tbsp (2-3 tbsp) extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves (2 cloves) garlic
- 2 tsp (2 tsp) sea salt
- 1 tsp (1 tsp) black pepper
- Finely mince the nori sheet, then cut the tofu into 8mm |0.3 inch slices and cover it with the minced nori sheet and season with sea salt. This will give the tofu the sea flavour.
- Place the tofu slices side by side on a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Add 3 lemon slices (very thinly sliced) on top of each tofu slice.
- Then add the capers, olives, chopped cherry tomatoes, sea salt, pepper, crushed garlic cloves, finely chopped parsley, and drizzle with extra virgin olive oil.
- Cover with another sheet of parchment paper and seal the tofu inside the two sheets of parchment paper. Make sure you seal it well as you want 1) the cooking juice to stay inside 2) the steam to cook the ingredients.
- Bake in the oven at 180˚C | 360˚F for 30 minutes.
- Take out of the oven, cut the wrapping with a pair of scissors and plate the "fish" on a bed of crispy kale.
- To make the crispy kale, just season the kale with a pinch of salt and a drizzle of olive oil, then bake it in the oven for about 15 minutes.
- This dish is best served with a side of our naturally vegan Italian style roasted potatoes.
- Serving suggestions: serve your Vegan Fish Bake with homemade roasted italian potatoes, they are perfect as a crunchy side to your dinner.
- Roast instead of baking: if you want the tofu to cook faster, use a large frying pan with a teaspoon of oil, and cook the tofu with a lid on low heat. Make sure to keep the lid on to help the steaming process and cook for 10 minutes.
You can store the fish bake in the fridge for 1-2 days, it keeps better if you let it stay in the foil. When you want to eat it, reheat while still in the foil in the oven, or simply reheat the tofu and vegetables in a pan.
🍝 Related recipes
We hope you liked this delicious vegan fish Italian style "cartoccio". It's full of flavour, tender, healthy, and with a mediterranean twist. If you have any tips or questions, we would love to hear from you in our comment section below.