- 180 grams uncooked pasta durum wheat or whole grain
- 400 grams zucchini
- 250 grams button mushrooms
- 100 grams frozen peas
- 1 medium red onion
- 1 tbsp flat-leaf parsley
- 1 tbsp coarse sea salt
- salt & pepper
- Finely chop the red onion
- Cut the zucchini in small dice
- Cut the mushrooms in small dice
- In a pan, water fry the onion (w. 5 tbsp water) for 3 mins
- Add the diced zucchini and let cook for 3 mins
- Add the frozen peas
- Add the diced mushrooms
- Season with salt and pepper
- Add some water and let simmer on medium heat for 10 mins. Stir occasionally
- In the meantime, cook the pasta in a large pot in salted, boiling water. Stir occasionally. For boiling time: follow the pasta package instructions minus 1 minute
- When the pasta is ready, save 1 cup of pasta water, then drain pasta and mix it into the vegetables
- Add some of leftover pasta water to the dish while stirring to make the pasta extra creamy. Keep cooking on medium heat for about 1 minutes
- Sprinkle with fresh parsley and a drizzle of olive oil (optional) on top before serving, or add some of our fake parmesan cheese or some nutritional yeast.
NUTRITION PER PORTION
STEP BY STEP VIDEO RECIPE
TIPS FOR VEGAN PASTA WITH ZUCCHINI
TIP 1: Serve pasta al dente. The pasta is not only more delicious, but it is also more digestible when not overcooked. The best trick to cook pasta al dente is to set the timer for 1 minute less than instructed on the package. Then you want to finish cooking the pasta into the sauce pan, which brings us to tip number 2.
TIP 2: Jump the pasta in the sauce pan with the sauce. This is done to make sure that the sauce sticks to the pasta. This step is done with most pasta sauces and in Italy is often referred to as "mantecare". One exception is pasta with basil pesto. Never heat up basil!
TIP 3: Save one cup of pasta water before draining the pasta. Pasta water is rich in starch that leaks out from the pasta, and when added to the saucepan during the "mantecatura" (as shown in tip 2) it makes the pasta extra creamy. Do this, and you'll never go back.
TIP 4: Increase umami with fake cheese. This is a very lean low-fat pasta recipe. To increase umami and sapidity my best tip is to add some vegan parmesan cheese, some nutritional yeast, or a creamy sauce made by blending almonds with some soy milk and adding it during Step 12.
STEP BY STEP VIDEO RECIPE
We hope you liked this vegan pasta with zucchini. It's easy to cook, fresh, springy, and full of veggies. We think you might also like our chili-lemon fake parmesan on top and our pasta with eggplant ragu.
And if you have any tips or questions, we would love to hear from you in our comment section below.
Thank you for following our blog. Stay healthy, stay foolish.