SIMPLE HOMEMADE ITALIAN STYLE PIZZA [VEGAN]
- Pizza stone
- Pizza paddle
- 2 grams fresh yeast
- 700 grams all purpose flour
- ½ litre water
- 25 grams sea salt
- 400 grams canned peeled tomatoes
- 1 tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 5-8 leaves fresh basil
- ½ clove garlic very thinly sliced
- black pepper
Onion Rosemary Topping
- 1 white onion
- 1 sprig rosemary
- olive oil extra virgin
- Note: for best results you'll need to pre-heat a pizza stone in your oven for 2 hours at max temperature. Keep your home oven at max temperature for the whole time while pre-heating and while cooking the pizzas.
- Add salt and water to a large bowl. Stir with a spoon till the salt is dissolved.
- With your hands, rub together the yeast with some of the flour.
- Add half of the flour and the yeast to the bowl with the water and salt and start mixing together with one of your hands until the flour and the water are mixed together. Then add the rest of the flour and keep mixing with your hands.
- When the dough starts to be formed, remove it from the bowl and put on a table. We use a wooden board made for this, but you can use any surface that is clean and sturdy.
- Sprinkle with some extra flour and knead with you hands for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Cover and let rest for 20 minutes.
- Form 6 small balls of dough, cover them with loose film and let proof for 6 to 8 hours.
- One at a time, flatten the pizza dough with your hands. Try to make it round, but do not touch it too much.
- Move it onto a pizza paddle, then add 1.5 spoons of the tomato sauce
- Bake in the oven on a preheated pizza stone for 7 to 8 minutes. Keep your oven at maximum heat.
- Serve with some extra virgin olive oil and fresh basil on top.
- In a bowl, add salt, pepper, olive oil, basil and thinly sliced garlic.
- Crush the tomatoes with your hands till you have a chunky tomato sauce. Set aside.
Onion rosemary topping
- Chop the rosemary and cut the onion very finely. Sprinkle on top of the pizza and drizzle with olive oil before baking the pizza in the oven for 8 minutes.
TIPS FOR HOMEMADE ITALIAN STYLE PIZZA
TIP 1: Peeled tomatoes for the win. For this recipe, you'll only need a few magic ingredients: water, flour, yeast and salt for the dough. Italian peeled canned tomatoes, olive oil and basil for the topping.
As we are both vegan, we did not add any cheese. We want our pizza to be healthy after all, and we love the flavour of the freshly baked pizza bread paired with the sweet flavour of Italian peeled tomatoes. Crush the tomatoes with your hands. They'll be less watery when cooked on the pizza.
TIP 2: Be creative. The best thing about making pizza is that you can be as creative as you want to be. You can literally put anything that is edible on it - from tomato sauce to vegan chocolate spread - it's your choice. Pizza with nutella is a classic in Italy.
But one of the pizza toppings that really tickles my memories, is the simplest of all. Onion, rosemary, extra virgin olive oil, and salt.
TIP 3: Two important props you might want to invest in if you decide to make homemade Italian style pizza or bread regularly are a pizza stone and a pizza paddle. The pizza stone is essential to be able to cook your pizza fast and with strong heat from the bottom in a standard home oven. You can purchase one on amazon for a few dollars.
TIP 4: Preheat! If you decide to use one, make sure to pre-heat it for a couple of hours in the oven at max temperature. You want that stone to be freaking hot. Remember that traditional Napolitan pizza ovens reach temperatures of over 450C (800F), so don't be shy with heat and turn it up as high as it goes.
STEP BY STEP VIDEO RECIPE
And if you have any tips or questions, we would love to hear from you in our comment section below.