A classic dessert made by my grandma on cold winter days.
This version is veganized of course, but still with indulgent double chocolate and rich coconut cream.
Don't worry, you won't taste the coconut, just 100% chocolate with a hint of orange.
I love to add some crushed hazelnuts on top, but feel free to add your favourite nuts!
- 50 grams all purpose flour
- 40 grams unsweetened cocoa powder
- 4 tbsp whole cane sugar
- 1/2 orange zest
- 1 pinch sea salt
- 125 ml almond milk warm
- 3 tbsp orange juice freshly squeezed
- 200 grams dark chocolate 70% +
- 125 ml coconut cream
- 2 tbsp cane sugar
For the candied orange
- peel of one orange cut julienne
- 50 grams water
- 50 grams cane sugar
- 50 grams hazelnuts or your favourite nut
Make the candied orange
- Carve the peel of one orange, trying to remove the white part and only get the orange part, and cut it julienne (thin match-size stripes).
- In a small pot on low heat, combine the orange peel with water and sugar, and let the sugar dissolve while stirring. Then bring to a gentle boil and stir for another minute.
- Set aside in a glass bowl or jar and let cool down before serving.
Make the chocolate mousse
- In a pot, mix the sifted flour and chocolate with the whole cane sugar, the orange zest, and the salt.
- While stirring, add the warm almond milk and the orange juice. Keep whisking until you have a smooth cream with no lumps.
- Bring the cream to a gentle boil and keep stirring. Add the grated (or shaved) dark chocolate and keep whisking until it has melted. Keep the heat very low and if it stick to the bottom, remove the pot from the heat and keep whisking. At this point you can replace the whisk with a silicon spatula.
- Take off the heat and keep folding the chocolate in for another 1 minute. Set aside and let cool down.
- In a separate bowl, whip up the cooled coconut cream with powdered sugar (you can make your own powdered sugar by blending some cane sugar for a few seconds in a blender).
- When the chocolate cream has cooled, add into it the coconut cream. Fold gently with a spatula, then let rest in the fridge for 1 hour before serving.
- Garnish with some crushed hazelnuts and candied orange on top.
NUTRITION PER PORTION
STEP BY STEP VIDEO RECIPE
And if you have any tips or questions, we would love to hear from you in our comment section below.
Thank you for following our blog. Stay healthy, stay foolish.