This recipe comes from the southern regions of Italy and it uses all the delicious ingredients you would find in it if you order it in Naples...well, except for the white fish!
We veganized it by replacing the fish with some fresh tofu made with organic soy beans, and giving it the fish flavour by adding some finely minced nori sheets.
The result blown us away. The taste is extremely close to the original Italian recipe (after all white fish doesn't taste like much). Try it and you won't be disappointed.
- 300 grams kale
- 220 grams organic firm tofu
- 200 grams cherry tomatoes
- 50 grams black olives pitted
- 30 grams capers pickled
- 20 grams flat leaf parsley finely chopped
- 3 grams nori seaweed 1 sheet, finely minced
- 6 thin slices organic lemon
- 2-3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- Finely mince the nori sheet, then cut the tofu into 8mm |0.3 inch slices and cover it with the minced nori sheet and season with sea salt. This will give the tofu the sea flavour.
- Place the tofu slices side by side on a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Add 3 lemon slices (very thinly sliced) on top of each tofu slice.
- Then add the capers, olives, chopped cherry tomatoes, sea salt, pepper, crushed garlic cloves, finely chopped parsley, and drizzle with extra virgin olive oil.
- Cover with another sheet of parchment paper and seal the tofu inside the two sheets of parchment paper. Make sure you seal it well as you want 1) the cooking juice to stay inside 2) the steam to cook the ingredients.
- Bake in the oven at 180˚C | 360˚F for 30 minutes.
- Take out of the oven, cut the wrapping with a pair of scissors and plate the "fish" on a bed of crispy kale.
- To make the crispy kale, just season the kale with a pinch of salt and a drizzle of olive oil, then bake it in the oven for about 15 minutes.
- This dish is best served with a side of our naturally vegan Italian style roasted potatoes.
NUTRITION PER PORTION
STEP BY STEP VIDEO RECIPE
We hope you liked this delicious vegan fish fillet Italian style. It's full of flavour, tender, healthy, and with a mediterranean twist. We think you might also like our Italian style roasted potatoes as a side and our grandma's double chocolate mousse for dessert.
And if you have any tips or questions, we would love to hear from you in our comment section below.
Thank you for following our blog. Stay healthy, stay foolish.