How can something so delicious be made with so few ingredients?
You'll just need semolina flour, water, and a pinch of salt for this delicious naturally vegan homemade orecchiette. Well, the result of your orecchiette is gonna be even better, if you add some love and some careful attention in the pasta-making process.
This recipe is the original as made in Puglia (Apulia), a region with plenty of delicious naturally vegan recipes!
The secret to good orecchiette is vigorously kneading the pasta for at least 10 minutes. Then, we let it rest for at least 15.
- 3 cups fine semolina flour from hard wheat (500 grams)
- 1⅓ cups warm water (250-350 grams)
- 1 tsp sea salt
- On a work surface or in a bowl, mix together the flour, the salt, and 3/4 of the water.
- Mix the flour and water together with your hands.
- Add the remaining water little by little. Depending on the brand of flour and on the humidity in the air, your dough will take more or less water than indicated here.
- On a work surface, knead the dough with your hands vigorously for at least 10 minutes (see video for details).
- Knead until the dough is smooth. Then shape into a ball and set aside to rest for at least 15 minutes, covered with a damp cloth.
- Shape the pasta into the orecchiette shape, either with your fingers or with a small knife. See video for technique.
- You can cook the pasta immediately in salted boiling water, for about 2 minutes.
- You can also let the pasta dry covered with a dry cloth, and then store it in an air tight container.
NUTRITION PER PORTION
STEP BY STEP VIDEO RECIPE
These orecchiette are best served with a light tomato sauce or with our favourite 10 minutes veganized apulian pasta recipe. Check it out here, it's with kale, broccoli and sun-dried tomatoes.
We hope you liked this simple recipe for homemade vegan orecchiette. It's healthy, wholesome, and will bring your whole family together. We think you might also like our 10 min healthy pasta and our trofie al pesto.
And if you have any tips or questions, we would love to hear from you in our comment section below.
Thank you for following our blog. Stay healthy, stay foolish.