Cambia lingua: Italiano
We love apple cake so much that we made a custard-filled version of it. Don't worry! This custard-filled apple cake is still 100% vegan, light, fluffy and full of apple flavour. We make it so that the custard coats the apple pieces in the cake, for a super moist and soft cake.
🎥 YouTube Video
Custard filled Apple Cake
- Springform pan or cake pan (18cm / 7 inches)
For the custard
- 400 g (1.7 cups) soy milk unsweetened
- 60 g (4 tbsp) sugar
- 40 g (3 tbsp) cornstarch
- ⅛ tsp (⅛ tsp) turmeric
- ¼ (¼ ) lemon peel
- ½ tsp (1 tsp) vanilla extract
For the cake
- 150 g (1.2 cups) all-purpose flour
- 150 g (1.3 cups) wholemeal flour
- 180 g (0.8 cups) soy yogurt
- 150 g (0.8 cups) unrefined cane sugar (plus 2 tbsp to sprinkle on top)
- 100 g (0.4 cups) plant milk soy, almond, oats
- 40 g (0.2 cups) vegetable oil sunflower seed, canola
- 16 g (3.2 tsp) baking powder
- 3 (3 ) apples
- 1 tbsp powdered sugar for topping optional
For the custard
- In a small pot and off the heat whisk together all the ingredients for the custard. Whisk well until there are no lumps.
- Bring the pot on the stove on medium to low heat. Keep whisking until the custard has reached a thick and creamy consistency.
- Take off the heat, remove the peel of the lemon, and let cool down a bit before using it for your cake. To speed up the cooling, transfer the custard into a bowl and stir it often to let the heat out.
For the apple cake
- Preheat the oven at 180C / 356F. In a bowl, add the soy yogurt, then while mixing with a whisk add the sugar, the plant milk and the oil. Whisk till the ingredients are well mixed together.
- Now sift flour and baking powder. Then add them to the bowl with the liquid, ⅓ at the time, while mixing with a spatula.
- Keep mixing with a spatula until all ingredients are well incorporated.TIP: try to mix with a circular movement from bottom to top of the bowl, like if you are trying to incorporate air into the dough. This will make the cake lighter.
- Peel the apples. Then cut them into quarters and remove stem and seeds. Take 1 apple (4 quarters) and cut it into small pieces on the short side. This is to add to the batter.Take 2 apples (8 quarters) and cut them into thin wedges on the long side. This is for the top of the cake.
- Add the small pieces of 1 apple to the cake batter, then mix with the spatula until the apple pieces are well incorporated into the batter.
- Lightly oil your springform pan (or cake pan), then dust it with flour. Now pour the cake batter into the cake pan.
- Now pour the custard onto the cake batter.
- Then with a knife or chopstick, swirl the custard around the batter. Don't mix it too much.
- Cover the top of the cake with the apple wedges with a circular pattern, overlappig the wedges a bit. Then sprinkle the apples with 1 to 2 tbsp of sugar.
- Bake the cake at 180C / 356 F for 1 hour. Take out of the oven, let cool for at least 1 hour. Then sprinkle with some powdered sugar if you want, and buon appetito!TIP: bake on a baking rack, not on a baking tray, because the tray will get too hot and might overcook the base of the cake.
Use organic soy products because the non organic ones can be GMO and full of pesticides. They are also damaging to the environment.
Use organic flours because the non organic ones are literally covered in pesticides that in the long term will harm your health.
Sift the flour while adding it to the mix. This will break down any lumps and will help you incorporate air into the cake. In turn your cake will be lighter and fluffier. You can sift with a regular kitchen sieve.
Mix the cake batter with a circular movement from bottom to top to incorporate as much air as possible into it. This will make your cake lighter.
This Apple Cake keep for 1-2 days if stored inside an airtight container or placed under a glass bell. Since the custard does not contain egg you do not have to store the cake in the fridge.
If you want to re-heat the cake, you can do so in a preheated oven for 5-7 minutes and it will help soften the cake and custard.
This cake is filled with a velvety layer of home made custard. If you like this Custard-filled Apple Cake you might also like these 2 variations made with a similar cake batter; a classic version and a healthier version:
A simple vegan Italian cake recipe that is soft, moist, fluffy, very easy to make and full of apple flavour. Did you know that in Italy we eat this for breakfast, or as a mid-afternoon snack?
We replace refined ingredients like flour and sugar with wholegrain flour and unrefined cane sugar. The result is a soft and moist cake with a strong apple and grain flavour. This wholegrain apple cake is also vegan.
🍰 Related recipes
Will you be baking this Custard filled Cake at home? Let us know if the comments. It makes us very happy when we see your creations.
Cambia lingua: Italiano