This meat-free aubergine ragù is super easy to make, it's tasty and full of umami despite its few and basic ingredients. To make things healthier, we decided not to use any oil for this sauce. We though we would miss some flavour by only using water for cooking the vegetables, but the result really surprised us.
No oil, no nutritional yeast, no flavour enhancers except from salt. This is the cooking we love the most. Simple, affordable and most importantly delicious!
- 300 grams pasta better if wholegrain or durum wheat
- 1 onion
- 1 stalk celery
- 2 carrots
- 1 clove garlic
- 500 ml tomato passata
- 2 aubergines medium sized
- chili flakes
- sea salt
- parsley finely chopped
- In a food processor, finely chop onion, celery, garlic and carrots. You can also do this by hand with a knife.
- In a non-stick or stainless steel pan, add 1 cup of tap water, then add the processed vegetables and let cook on medium heat for about 5 minutes.
- Chop the eggplant/aubergine into dice, then add them to the pan and let cook with the vegetables for 10 minutes. Add some water if necessary.
- Once the eggplant/aubergine is soft, add the tomato sauce. Season with salt, chili flakes, oregano or thyme, and let simmer for about 15 minutes on medium to low heat stirring occasionally.
- At this point, cook the pasta in salted boiling water. Once the pasta is al-dente, save some pasta water, then drain the pasta, and add it to the sauce.
- Mix the pasta with the sauce in the pan on medium heat for about 1.5 minutes, adding some pasta water. This will make the sauce and the pasta come together and super creamy.
- Sprinkle with some freshly chopped parsley and enjoy!
NUTRITION PER PORTION
And if you have any tips or questions, we would love to hear from you in our comment section below.
Thank you for following our blog. Stay healthy, stay foolish.